Free Filing Options Still Available

If the IRS owes you money, you can still file to get your cash-back tax refund and ensure you receive your Economic Impact Payment as soon as possible.

Check out the free, online tax preparation options available:

  • Remote Drop Off – A new program by Code for America in partnership with VITA sites is available to households making $66,000 or less
  • IRS Free File – Includes a number of free online filing options for both federal and state returns available for households making $69,000 or less
  • – Through United Way’s partnership with H&R Block, every household with a simple return can file their federal and state taxes for free (this option does not include filers who are contract workers, i.e. Uber or Lyft drivers)

A few in-person tax sites are now open by appointment – check out the location tool below. 

You’ve estimated your refund. What’s next?

Collect all the documents needed to file your taxes

  • Photo ID
  • W-2s, 1099s and all other tax-related documents for 2019
  • Social Security or ITIN cards for all individuals on the return

Full list of items

Using a paid preparer?

If you choose to use a paid preparer to complete your taxes, be sure you are getting the best service possible from a trusted source by asking the right questions. 

What you need to know