What to bring to file your taxes

Collect the following documents:

  • Photo ID
  • Social security card or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for all family members listed on the return
    Note – A new IRS law requires ITIN renewal, click here to find out if you need to renew.
  • All W-2s, 1099s and other income-related documents
  • A copy of last year’s tax return, if available
  • Childcare expenses: Total paid to provider, name, address, phone number and Tax ID number
  • Mortgage interest, property taxes, charitable contributions and all other tax-deductible expenses
  • Education expenses: Form 1098T, record of expenses paid for tuition, books, fees and supplies
  • Form 1095-A, if health insurance was purchased through the marketplace
  • Checking and/or savings account numbers and bank routing numbers to direct deposit your refund
  • Colorado Rent-Heat Rebate: Rent receipts and heating bills
  • A copy of your previous year’s tax return if available

For joint returns, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms

Using a paid preparer?

Ask the right questions to be sure you are getting the best service possible from a trusted source.

What you need to know