Additional Tax Credits

In addition to the Earned Income Tax Credit, the following are other federal and state tax credits that benefit working families.

The Child Tax Credit

A federal tax credit worth up to $2,000 for each child under the age of 17 claimed on a tax return. Learn more.

The Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit

This federal credit helps families pay for childcare while they are working or looking for employment. It is also available to families that must pay for the care of a spouse or adult depending who is incapable of caring for themselves. Learn more.

American Opportunity Tax Credit

This credit helps students and families pay for expenses incurred during the first four years of post-secondary education. It is worth $2,500 per eligible student each year. Learn more.

Premium Tax Credit

The Premium Tax Credit is available to taxpayers who purchase health insurance through the marketplace. The PTC reduces the monthly premium paid for health insurance by the taxpayer and is reconciled when a person files their taxes. Learn more.

Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers

An Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) is a number issued by the IRS to help individuals, who cannot obtain a social security number, file their taxes

ITIN Renewal

In the past, a taxpayer applied for and received an ITIN only once. Changes to the ITIN program include a requirement that taxpayers renew their ITINs. These changes will require every ITIN holder to eventually renew based on when their ITIN was issued.

Certain ITINs are set to expire on December 31, 2020. Tax filers with expired ITINs may be ineligible for certain tax credits or face delayed tax refunds. To avoid refund delays, tax filers with expiring ITINs are encouraged to renew as soon as possible. Learn who is affected this year and how they can renew by downloading this informational flier in English and Spanish.

Learn more about the ITIN renewal process from the IRS website.

Questions or concerns about your tax return?

Contact the IRS
To receive help from the IRS over the phone, call 1-800-829-1040. In addition, IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers are your source for personal tax help when your tax issue can’t be handled online or by phone. Learn more.

  • Low Income Taxpayer Clinic
    Low Income Taxpayer Clinics (LITC) assist low income individuals who have a tax dispute with the IRS. LITCs can represent taxpayers before the IRS or in court on audits, appeals, tax collection matters, and other tax disputes. Services are provided for free or for a small fee. There are two LITCs in Colorado:The University of Denver Graduate Tax Program’s Low Income Taxpayer Clinic (LITC) The LITC is staffed by students in the University of Denver’s Graduate Tax Program, and it is supervised by tax law attorneys. To make an appointment, call 303-871-6331 or email
  • Colorado Legal Services in Denver, Colorado. Call them at 303-837-1321 or visit their website to learn more.